After the first week of indulgence during Ramadan, it’s important to get down to business as the second week approaches and to consciously take better care of your health and avoid starting bad eating habits. For this week we have a complementary 7-day weight loss meal plan that will help you reach your health goals this month without feeling deprived. This is a 1,200 calorie meal plan recommended for an average male or female looking to lose weight. You may need a more personalized nutritional program if you have existing health issues or are clinically overweight.
- Always include a salad or vegetable based soup with your iftar meal to prevent over-eating and help replenish lost vitamins and minerals.
- Green smoothies are a great way of getting vital nutrients after fasting without costing you lots of calories.
- Having a hearty, carbohydrate rich suhoor is important to prevent overeating the next day and give you energy.
- If you are craving something sweet, always have a serving of fruit first to satisfy those cravings.
- Focus on portion control and eat slowly so that your body has time to register when it is full.
- Working out directly before iftar will burn the most calories, however, it is important to regulate intensity so that you don’t feel faint or dehydrated.
- Don’t be afraid of carbohydrates, but focus on wholegrains instead of refined starch e.g. freekeh or quinoa instead of white rice and pasta.
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 200ml chicken/vegetable stock
- 100g broccoli
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken or vegetable stock into the pan and add the broccoli florets.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Season to taste, then transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add cornflour to thicken soup, if necessary.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 lettuce head
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin rings
- 1/2 small green pepper, cut into thin rings
- 1/4 cup black olives
- Whisk first 5 ingredients together until blended to make dressing.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add dressing to salad.
- 2 big handfuls of fresh spinach
- ½ seedless cucumber
- ½ cup fresh pineapple or mango
- ½ large orange, peeled
- ½ lime, peeled
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- Chop the cucumber, pineapple, orange, and lime into equally sized chunks.
- Place the spinach in the blender jug first, followed by about half of the other ingredients and ½ cup of water.
- Secure the blender lid and start off blending at moderate speed, then gradually increase speed to high.
- Once the mixture is close to being fully pureed, add the remaining ingredients and continue to blend. Only add additional water if necessary.
- Consume within 8 hours for optimal freshness.
Honey Glazed Salmon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worchestire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 salmon filets
- Preheat oven to 250 C.
- In a small bowl, stir together the honey, mustard, olive oil, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon fillets in a pan and drizzle with sauce.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until salmon flakes when tested with a fork.
- 1 can chickpeas, or 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices (cumin, chilli, paprika, rosemary, curry powder)
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Rinse, drain, and dry chickpeas can.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil and spices.
- Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, and enjoy hot.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, garlic, and mustard powder. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in minced fresh herbs if desired.
For a more customized nutrition plan based on your goals, needs, and preferences, you can contact our Nutritionist Donia Hilal at email@example.com to get your very own nutrition plan.