Hey there girls, remember the article I wrote about all the different types of carrier oils you can use for your hair, well this one is sort of a sequel to that one but with essential oils. So here’s everything you need to know about the 3 best essential oils you can use for your hair to grow stronger healthier and living its best curly life!
First, let’s recap the difference between carrier and essential oils. Both are different in structure, properties, and therapeutic benefits. Simply put, essential oils are highly concentrated oils that should never be applied to skin, scalp or hair directly, as they can burn right through or cause severe skin irritation. Carrier oils, on the other hand, are not very potent or concentrated and can be used to dilute essential oils. They are just as beneficial as essential oils.
1. Lavender Essential Oil (LEO)
It is extracted mainly from the flowers of the Lavender plant and can be used for any hair type. As much as it is famous for its soothing powers, LEO also has powerful antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that make it perfect for controlling dandruff and scalp acne. It can also help balance natural scalp oils, promote blood circulation, promote hair growth and treat hair loss.
1) Hair Growth: Mix 1 Tsp. LEO and 2 Tsp. Coconut oil together, massage into your scalp and leave overnight. Wash in the morning and repeat twice a week for a few months to see results.
2) Nighty Scalp Massage: Mix 8-10 drops of LEO in 2 Tbsp of warm extra virgin Olive oil, Coconut oil or Grape Seed oil. Work into scalp and leave in overnight. Keep bottle available for nightly use, but don’t use too much in one go, so you do not have to shower daily.
2.Rosemary Essential Oil (REO)
Rosemary essential oil contains loads of Vitamin B, Iron, and Calcium. It is great for cleansing and has been used for thousands of years as a remedy for thinning and brittle hair. It has also been scientifically proven to prevent premature graying. REO is excellent for strengthening hair follicles, treating dandruff, promoting hair growth and conditioning hair.
- Hair Conditioner Oil: Mix 1 Tbsp. Jojoba oil with 3 drops of REO in a small bowl. On your wet hair, apply the conditioner. Let it sit on your hair for 15-30 minutes. Then, wash your hair as normal. This helps dry hair a lot.
- Hot Oil Treatment: Mix 1 Tbsp. of Coconut oil and 1 tsp. of Castor oil. Heat slightly, then add 4 drops of REO and stir. Use the tips of your fingers to massage the oil into your scalp while it’s still warm. Let the oil sit in your hair for at least 15 mins before washing. Do this once a week or once every 3 days.
- Hair Mask for Super Growth: Break one whole egg into a bowl and add 1 tsp of honey, 1 tsp. of coconut oil and 6 drops of REO. Whisk the mixture until it reaches a smooth consistency, then apply it onto your hair for 30- 60 minutes. Wash off with warm water and dry your hair without using any heat. Do this once a week for at least 4 weeks straight to see a difference.
- Overnight Treatment: Mix 2 Tbsp. of Coconut oil with 1 tsp. of honey and 3 drops of REO. Apply the mixture onto your scalp, hair shafts, and hair tips. Tie hair and wrap with a shower cap. Wash in the morning.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil (PEO)
It is the essence of peppermint extracted into an oil. It is full of nutrients and minerals with some fatty acids and a compound called Menthol. Menthol is responsible for many of the benefits of PEO.
- PEO has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, which help to relieve a dry scalp, eliminate dandruff and fight lice.
- PEO is a remedy for hair loss and is essential for hair growth. This may be because the menthol in PEO is a vasodilator, and vasodilators improve blood flow. Hair loss occurs due to a lack of blood flow to hair follicles. Increasing circulation with a vasodilator like peppermint could potentially improve hair growth and prevent some hair loss.
Warning: PEO is quite strong, so keep it away from eyes, ears, nose etc. and never add more than a few drops into any mixture.
1) To fight scalp itchiness, dryness and dandruff: Add a few drops of PEO straight into your shampoo and conditioner bottles. Then simply use your shampoo and conditioner as you usually would.
2) Hair growth or hair loss remedy: Add 2-3 drops of PEO to a carrier oil such as Jojoba, Almond or Coconut. Massage into scalp and leave for 30 mins, then wash out. Repeat 3 times a week for a minimum of 4 weeks.
Finally, let’s summarize the different uses of the oils
|THINNING HAIR OR HAIR GROWTH||DANDRUFF|