Self-care is a broad term that encompasses just about anything you do to be good to yourself. In a nutshell, it’s about being as kind to yourself as you would be to others. It’s partly about knowing when your resources are running low, and stepping back to replenish them rather than letting them all drain away.
Meanwhile, it also involves integrating self-compassion into your life in a way that helps to prevent even the possibility of burnout.
Having said that self-care is not by any means frivolous, it’s an essential ingredient to having a stable and fruitful life. When you take care of yourself and fill your cup first you can give to others authentically and deeply. You will also find that you have more patience and understanding when dealing with the unavoidable stresses in life.
Practicing a daily self-care routine taught me the importance and benefits of loving, respecting and being gentle with myself.
Here, Let Me Take You through My Daily Self-Care Routine Essentials!
- Wake up
- Morning stretches: It has been said that morning stretches improve brain activity, decreasing body aches and increases one’s energy level throughout the day.
- Brush my teeth.
- Wash my face with rose water infused with Frankincense. I let my face breath a bit, then I apply my face serum which is usually Almond and Aloe Vera oil. (Rosewater has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness of irritated skin. It’s also a great cleanser and aids in removing oil and dirt accumulated in clogged pores. Both Almond and Aloe Vera oils are very moisturizing for the skin).
- Cumin or Jeera water that I have prepared the night before. Just add a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a small glass of water, let sit overnight in the fridge and drink first thing in the morning. (Cumin water is a great source of iron, promotes digestion and contains antioxidants that help stabilize free radicals. I mostly take it for my hair, it’s also a great source of Vitamin B and E )
- Affirmations (they help me set my intention for the day and stay grounded).
- Let the day begin!
- Wash my face with rose water.
- Brush my teeth.
- Apply Wheat Germ Oil and massage my face with a Jade Roller (being a great source of Vitamin B6, Folic acid and Vitamin E, wheat germ oil is said to act as an anti-aging agent for the skin. The jade roller is said to decrease puffiness and under eye circles and even minimize the look of fine lines especially if it’s cold. I keep mine in the fridge).
- Practice Gratitude (helps me end the day on a positive note).
- Nightie Night!
Tip: – I have a small blackboard hung next to my bed especially to remind me of the routine I mentioned above. Don’t be fooled or overwhelmed, my routine didn’t start out like this; you just simply decide on your self-care practice and practice it daily until it becomes second nature and then build on it. Before you know it you will have your very own personalized self-care routine!