How To Keep Your Sockless Summer Shoes Clean and Odor Free
If you are not comfortable to take off your shoes, ballet flats or any footwear in public because you’re afraid everyone is going to die instantly from the green smoke literally being emitted from your feet then this post is not for you.
We can’t do anything to help actual green smoke coming from your feet, we can, however, help your feet not smell bad, hopefully, that’s enough for now.
First things first,
Why do you get smelly feet during the summer (more than any other season)?
Well, because your body heats up faster in the summertime, which lets it sweat more in order to cool down your body. Here’s a surprise, sweat is actually ODOURLESS! But a confined humid, dark area (like your shoes) is excellent breeding grounds for bacteria (that is actually naturally present on human skin), and when the bacteria gets a hold of your sweat, it breaks it down, releasing a bad smell.
So, how can you prevent smelly feet?
- Proper hygiene is a must. Shower every day (in the summer, but don’t wash your hair every day so it doesn’t dry out)
- Use antibacterial soap on your feet
- Wear fresh socks every time you wear shoes
- Opt for a breathable material for socks
- Avoid tight shoes when you can
- Sprinkle Baby Powder or Baking Soda lightly inside your shoes before wearing them
If you already have smelly feet, here are natural ways to remedy the situation:
Remove all the dead skin so you don’t have anything blocking your pores, making you sweat more and you’re not giving the bacteria something to feed on and produce more smelliness. Use a pumice stone or a natural DIY foot scrub to exfoliate well.
- Soak your feet:
- Vinegar Soak: (2 parts water: 1 part apple cider vinegar (or white)) for 15-20mins maximum & your feet will thank you. But don’t soak your feet right after you exfoliate, wait the next day for best results.
- Salt Soak: Fill a tub of lukewarm water and put in a small amount of salt (Epsom or Sea Salt are best for their mineral content), soak your feet for 15-20mins and watch your feet transform. It’s also great for sore muscles.
- Essential Oil Soak (AKA Spa Soak): Add a few drops of these essential oils each for its unique property.
- Lavender E.O to kill bacteria & help your feet smell great.
- Peppermint to invigorate your blood circulation, wake up tired feet & help disinfect your feet.
- Tea Tree E.O: Helps treat your feet if you have any foot fungus (especially athlete’s foot) and is a natural antibacterial.
Steps to keep your Ballet Flats, or (any other shoe you wear without socks) clean & odor free :
- Clean the inside of your shoes after every time you take them off with
- Lemon juice on a cotton pad to disinfect the inside of your shoe and banish bad odors.
- Rubbing Alcohol (pharmacy bought) on a cotton swab to remove the black gunk that builds up in your flats after a long hot day.
- Sprinkle baking soda inside your shoe and leave it till you wear them next time. This will help absorb foul odors and excess moisture.
- Put lavender sachets in your shoes when you’re not wearing them. This will ensure they have a pleasant smell and will help keep the green smoke at bay (at least it will smell like lavender)
We promise if you follow these steps, and keep good hygiene you can successfully say goodbye to smelly feet and never worry again about taking off your shoes anywhere.
If you are pregnant, you have to consult with your physician first before adding any essential oils to your foot soaks as some essential oils have adverse effects on your pregnancy. Also, during pregnancy, the hormonal changes can sometimes cause smelly feet.