What is Organic?
Making a commitment to healthy eating is a great start towards a healthier life. Beyond eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and good fats, however, there is the question of food safety and sustainability. Sourcing your food and knowing exactly where and how each ingredient has been grown is all a part of being a healthier and more aware person. But why should you choose organic?
- Organic produce contains no pesticides. Pesticides can be absorbed into fruit and vegetables and leave residues that we then eat. Some studies have shown that pesticides can decrease the efficiency of our immune system, especially in children. After all, who thought it was a good idea to grow our food with poisons?
- Organic produce contains only natural fertilizers. When plants are allowed to grow at a natural rate, they can produce their nutrient levels in balance. This means more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in each serving of organic fruit and vegetable you eat.
- Organic food doesn’t contain preservatives to make it last longer. It might not last as long as non-organic counterparts, but it is in a more natural form and it tastes and looks fresher while it lasts.
- Choosing organic is better for us as eaters, but it’s also a whole lot better for the environment. Organic farming reduces pollution, saves water, uses less energy, and is less toxic to small farm animals.
- Organic meat, dairy, and eggs and produced from animals that are fed only organic ingredients. The animals are not given any antibiotics, hormones and disease is prevented with natural methods as much as possible.
Is Organic More Expensive?
Growing food organically and ethically will naturally cost more money because of the high feed quality and hygiene standards the farmers need to maintain. But we like to think that investing in your health is one of the best things you can do for your body. Remember to always shop around and compare different organic providers until you find what is most suitable for you. If buying absolutely everything organic is not financially realistic to you, some fruit and vegetables contain particularly high pesticide levels so it is best to buy these specifically organic. These include:
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Kale/Collard Greens
Where to Buy Organic in Cairo?
- Sara’s Organic Food
You can make a one-time order or sign up to receive their weekly basket full of seasonal goodies. Pay a visit to the farm or get everything delivered right to your doorstep.
- Makar Farms
Available both online and in major supermarkets (Metro, Seoudi, and Gourmet), Makar Farms offer a wide range of vegetables grown locally and organically.
You can check out our NGS shopping list for a look into what we love from their, all ingredients are organically certified off course!
- Egyptian Hydrofarms Photo credits
Specializing in pesticide-free lettuce and herbs, Egyptian Hydrofarms can help you build the perfect salad base.
Imtenan has various health shops spread out across the city, from organic honey to superfood seeds locally grown to natural cosmetic products, there is something for everyone.