We decided to take things to a new level by taking the step of challenging Fitness Athlete Hassan Gabr, who’s diet is currently based on purely high percentages of aminal derived protein, to start a Plant-Based Diet to have evidence of how anyone can have their needed amounts of protein through eating green.
So, we believe that if the daily protein needs of an athlete such as Hassan Gabr are met through implementing a Plant-Based Diet, then anyone else can easily pertain to this diet as well.
Hassan will not only be shifting his eating habits to be healthier, however; he will also get to experience Cairo through the eyes of The Daily Crisp leading him on embarking into a Holistic Lifestyle.
What is a Plant-Based Diet (PBD)?
A plant-based regime is not a “diet” to be adopted to reach a specific result in a specific time frame; however, it is a lifestyle to pertain.
A PBD consists of consuming only the minimally processed fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices; while excluding anything that is processed or animal-derived: red meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy.
Why would you adopt such a lifestyle even if we know you love burgers and working out?!
The benefits of being on a PBD are more than countable; however, here are some of the most important ones to keep in mind:
- Prevents and reverses chronic disease
- Helps with losing weight
- Lowers Cholesterol Levels (Hello FIBERS!)
- Immensely boosting to athletic performance (A Total Game-Changer)
- Let It GLOW, Let It GLOW, LET IT GLOW! – Makes skin healthier and younger thanks to its richness in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytochemicals available in fruits and vegetables.
- Last but not least, you can live HEALTHIER for longer.
How to successfully adhere to the PBD?
To Successfully do the transition from your current dietary plan, you need to:
- Refrain from eating any animal-derived products such as Red Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs, and Dairy (Cheese, Milk, Yogurt…)
- Avoid intake of any type of processed fats, such as Margarine Butter, Ghee, Regular Butter, Oils (Olive Oil…)
- Avoid concentrated, chemically enhanced, or chemically preserved products, such as Canned Products, White Flour, Soda Drink (even if it has the word DIET written in it.)
- Avoid Salt, even Sea Salt.
- AND most importantly: NO SUGAR!!
Here is the list of GROCERIES needed to start the challenge!
You may choose any of the following options, based on recipe preference and item availability. Make sure to include all the categories.
As for the recipes, here are some links to some of our favorite Plant-Based recipes for you to mix and match while creating a meal plan.
Note: Starting the day with a warm drink is recommended, so start your day with Lemon Water.
These drinks work well as morning and evening drinks.
These recipes go well as a mid-day snack as well as dinner.
Mix and match between leftovers from these recipes to create dinner, or have it as a mid-day snack as well.
These recipes are also suitable as lunch options; you could also recreate a lunch for the next day with the leftovers.
These recipes should be enough to create a fully nutritious and healthy meal plan for an amateur plant-based eater.
Keep an eye out for more articles to come about Hassan Gabr and The Daily Crisp Challenge. Support Hassan in successfully going through the challenge by sharing your starting a Plant-Based Diet as well and share pictures on social media tagging #الغوريلا_الخضرا.